Today we celebrate Earth Day 2020. Here are 12 ways you can help the planet and celebrate 50 Years of this historic day. Let’s all work together to make our earth a better place to live.
1. Plant a Tree– Trees provide food, oxygen, help save energy, and clean the air.
2. Volunteer– There are many organizations focusing on making the world a cleaner place. Get involved with one locally and do your part to save our planet.
3. Pick Up Litter– Take some time today to clean up any items that have been discarded around your neighborhood. Make sure you wear gloves and wash your hands thoroughly after.
4. Recycle– This is something we can all do even while social distancing. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Cut down on what you throw away to conserve resources and landfill space.
5. Conserve Water– We all waste more water than we realize on a daily basis. Be conscious about leaving the water running and make an effort to cut down on how much you use.
6. Conserve Energy– There are simple ways each of us can do our part on Earth Day 2020. Turn off the lights when you leave a room. Use Energy Efficient Light Bulbs. Use Smart Power Strips. Purchase energy efficient appliances.
7. Reusable Shopping Bags– Skip the plastic and paper and get reusable shopping bags. Reminder: Wash your shopping bags after each use.
8. Walk or Ride a Bike– Driving less will help limit the pollution coming from your vehicle. Walk or ride a bike wherever you can.
9. Be Careful with Chemicals– Make sure the chemicals you’re using are non-toxic and safe for the environment.
10. Donate– There are many charities that focus on the environment. Find one that is important to you and make a donation.
11. Teach Your Kids– It’s important to lead our children by example. Use the opportunity of this historic day to teach them the importance of recycling, conserving energy and water, and how to safely clean up litter to better our environment. NASA also has a list of fun ways to teach your kids about Earth Day.
12. Plant Based Cooking: EarthDay.org has 5 Climate-Conscious ways to use Plant Based Substitutes in your recipes.
Bonus: Check out Great Lakes Now for some ways you can participate in Earth Day 2020 safely from your home.
Let’s all do our part to make the planet a better place to live on Earth Day 2020.
Love the Planet & Lake On!
Photo Courtesy Catherine Sheila, Pexels.